Monday 7 December 2009

Poker Updates

Came 3rd in a 1000-person $4.40 4-max MTT for $280. Dominated my table(s) throughout, even on the occasions where I got short stacked. It seemed most of my opponents were simply unable to adapt to the dynamics of four-handed play. Was fairly action-filled, and average stack for most of the tournament hovered around 50BB. The final push for first was rather slow. Eventually I took a flip with the big stack at the Final Table and lost. Had won a few flips earlier on, but I think I owe much of the success to value betting more aggressively than normal; generally pushing my edges harder.

I know have a permaroll on Stars, so am trying to expand it using effective bankrolling.

Currently at $528. Will update every so often.

Wrote some poker-literature which I sent to three of my friends. One has read it and said it was a "good read" - presumably with pun intended. Another has replied that he will read it soon, and the other hasn't even bothered to reply. It's fairly short (8,000 words) and is just a few mini essays on some of the few topics on which I can speak authoritatively, such as not being a complete idiot and losing your bankroll on a frequent basis just because you have ego issues.

MiniFTOPS soon! Realised my LHE game needs a lot of practice, so have swallowed my pride and am practising the fundamentals at $0.25/$0.50 on Stars. 1,000 big bets is an ample cushion. I reckon the most fundamental difference between it and NLHE is that the blinds represent a large chunk of the average pot, and must be contested if you are to survive. I was definitely playing too tight before this and basically just getting blinded to death, entering pots as if I were catching air in a ceiling of a sinking ship, almost in denial to the fact that I was going to drown anyway.

Christmas tree will be up on Wednesday. Should be good.

No comments: