Wednesday 9 December 2009

Running Good

Marathon training really isn't easy. As the Brighton Marathon website warns, it's basically the hardest physical task available to the common man. But I've now committed myself to it. Yesterday I received notification from the Alzheimer's Society that they had no places left, and that I would be notified again sometime in January as to whether they would be able to accrue any more places. Obviously I can't wait that long. Training has begun and I want to start raising funds as soon as possible. So I phoned Cancer Research UK and got a place with them. It's official. I am going to run the Brighton Marathon.
At the bottom of this post is a little poem from Phil Hellmuth. Not sure if it was written by Phil Hellmuth Sr. or Jr. But I often repeat that last two lines to myself when running. Have always been a fan of Hellmuth, not because of his 'PokerBrat' persona, which is pretty contrived anyway in my honest opinion, but because he wins. As for my own winning? Well, MTT variance is a bitch. Roll currently $503, and the only reason it's that high is that I've had a decent run in STTs and cash, where your edge doesn't take quite so long to reveal itself. But I already know I have a large edge at low stakes MTTs. It's how I got my bankroll to where it is in the first place.

Watched Alistair Cooke's thirteen-part 1972 series America recently, in rapid succession. Was the visual equivalent of a book/puppy you don't want to put down. Will write some more detailed thoughts on this, along with other series I've watched/books I've read recently, in separate, more detailed blog posts. Bought Matt Mattros's The Making of a Poker Player yesterday, in Borders, who are currently on a 30% sale. I go there quite frequently, and might be commissioned to snap up a few shelves once the going gets really tough. I missed the opportunity last year when Woolworths collapsed. Also, Harrington on Cash (Vol. 1) arrived today. Beautiful book.
Here is the poem, I mentioned:

The Universe Conspired to Help
The man had a dream He knew what he wanted, it seems- Once he was sure in his heart this was it He vowed Someday that he would achieve it- He Wasn't quite ready to do his thing But he felt pretty certain what the future would bring- When one day the time was right When he was ready to fight the good fight- He conquered all his excuses and set forth To take the risk-fraught first step without any remorse- Once he took the first step down the line The universe conspired to help make sure he was fine- He never dreamed he would accomplish so much That the universe would give him such incredible luck- Now older and wiser he understood the hardest part Was convincing himself it was time to start. -Phil Hellmuth-

No comments: