I do find small things amusing (that's not what she said!) because even in the most mundane item there has been an awful lot of concious decision.
For instance, this morning I was surprised to find a 2l bottle of diet lemonade in the fridge.
I began to think about the life story of said bottle, and how many concious decisions went in to getting it where it was today.
From most recent to most histroic
- somebody decided to put it in the fridge rather than store it at room temperature
- somebody decided to buy diet rather than regular lemonade
- somebody decided to go shopping
- somebody decided that they should sell this particular brand of diet lemonade in store
- somedody decided the price should be set at 79p
- somebody decided that they should manufacture this particular brand of diet lemonade
- somebody decided that one of the sizes of bottles should be 2 litres
- somebody decided that lemons mixed with carbonated water makes a refreshing drink
- somebody decided that plastic containers can be forged to hold liquids
And soon we shall be able to add to this list:
- somebody decided to drink it
poker marathon dreams poem election plans politics list meta review children food travel advice boast brighton history reading sleep sunday lunch work burke cartoons christmas civ 3 class computer games connections coren couragewolf coventry drinks dtd freedom gukpt hellmuth ice james laptop literature maths may midlands nazis new year nostalgia nottingham park pope pub radio routine running snow story tesco war writing