Sunday 9 May 2010

Some dreams, dreamt somewhere between 1.30 and 10.30AM on Sunday 9th of May

As always tends to happen, activities from the preceding day seem to find their way into my dreams. As I have been following the election and subsequent power struggle for most of the day, it's no surprised that I actually dreamt about it. Specifically, I dreamt that there had been another election in which the Conservative number of seats went down from 267 to 265, and I was frustrated that out of the spectacularly small change the constituency in which my bed was was one of the seats had gone back to Labour. I was lying in my bed at the time, both in the dream and in real life. I didn't catch where the other seat was, by believe it was up in Coventry. Odd, 'cause in real life all three of the Coventry seats are already Labour.

Later I dreamt I was back at school. This is a ridiculously common dream theme, but this instance was generally stranger than most other school-based dreams. For a start, I was completly concious of the fact that I had already graduated from University. On looking around me I percieved the other students to be in Year 10 (or Lower Fifth as we called them) and that I had left this class seven years ago. My teacher in the dream was Mr. Brown, who had actually been my form teacher all the way back in Year 7 and Year 5. He complained that he had a headache, and was hoping that he might get ill for a week so he could spend some time off work.

I wasn't entirely sure what sort of work I was meant to be doing - all I did know is that I wasn't really progressing very quickly. I laughed at this, for it seemed fairly strange that I, already having a degree, should be struggling to focus on this comparitavely straightforwward sylabus material. I wasn't the only one not working though - two of the kids behind me were watching videos on their laptop. I too had my laptop on me. Eventually I realised the absurdity of the situation of a graduate sitting through GCSE material and got up, explaining myself to the class from my seat. No one seemed to notice though.

I left the classroom feeling pretty self-concious and resigned, fumbling my assorted notes and posessions and loose papers as I walked into town. The town in question was clearly not Brighton - I had the odd feeling that I was in Coventry or something. I passed one building which appeared to be full of slot machines and other arcade-like paraphanelia. I was wondering whether to walk through it or walk around it, as I percieved my destination to be on the other side of the said building.

As I walked towards it I was mocked a little by a bunch of students. They weren't mocking anything in particular, but seemed to me amused at how messy I was, particularly with regards to my notes flapping about all over the place.

In the end I got on a bus. On the inside it looked a bit like a London Underground carriage - seats on both sides facing eachother. I communicated with a girl sat on my left, who I seemed to have known in the past, as there was an immediate air of familiarity. I say 'communicated' as at first it wasn't talking - it was sort of a mixture of sign language and grunts. The conversation felt rehearsed as if it was from a film, and I always knew what she was going to say next. I wondered how she would be able to portray her next point without actually articulating it in words. To my amusement, she did say it in words, albiet in a very quiet voice as if she wasn't actually saying it to me but rather saying it to herself as it to provide a thread upon which she could wind her sign language, reminding herself as to the point she wished to convey. About 20 seconds later she started speaking normally, embraced me, and forgave me, though for what I do not know.

After waking up briefly and returning to sleep, I had yet another dream. In this one, I was somehow in Australia. I remember walking around and thinking how much it seemed like Essex. Everyone seemed just a little bit energetic and rough and enthusiastic. I was on guard. For some reason I believed myself to in the northern part of Australia and ended up finding myself at a beach. It reminded me a little of Alicante, and was very busy.

Later I found myself in some sort of kebab van. Every so often the vehicle would move backwards or forwads quite dramatically. I wasn't scared, but I wasn't sure what was really going on either. After finally buying something I was ready to leave the van. However, before I got the chance to make my exit the van started going backwards again. We reveresed into the bushes and I was hoping that the vegetation would hold us and stop us from going backwards any further. It didn't. We went through the bushes and our velocity increased dramatically. From this point on I saw the events from above. There was an unspoken acknowledgement that we were going to die. The van went onto a main road which had three lanes - two dedicated for traffic going either direction and a middle one which seemed to have no specific function. We figured our best bet would be to stay on this lane for a while and steer away from oncoming traffic, of which there was quite a lot. Eventually some impulse caused us to suddenly go very quickly in the other direction - we were now going forward and everything seemed fine. Unforunately we drove into the back of a bus. This wouldn't have been fatal had not the bus subsequently slowed down and allowed a car from behind us to ram into us. We were crushed.

No comments: