Saturday 20 February 2010

Some dreams

I don't mean some wavy aspirations. I mean those things that go on when you go to sleep.

Dream I

I was in what appeared to be the living room on the top floor of my house, but the dimensions of the room were a lot bigger than in real life. Furtheremore, there appearead to be a number of desks in the room (c. 20) as if it were a quiet study room, classroom or exam hall.

One of the guys I played poker with at Warwick, Richard King, was scuffling around, as there appeared to be a miniature tornado above his desk. The tornado was about twelve feet in the air and three feet high, so not a particularly large object but for some reason I was able to gauge its speed of rotation at around 600 mph.

Richard ran out of the room and so did I, although we had a little trouble opening the door. This only added to our anxiety. We ran down two flights of stairs to safety, but once we had arrived at the ground floor it seemed that this friend of mine had changed from Richard King to Daniel Mumby (who I am sure reads this blog. Hello Daniel!)


Dream II

The building I was in seemed to be a hybrid between my old school sports hall and swimming pool hall. The main part of the building itself seemed more like the sports hall, and there was no pool to be seen. However, the changing rooms were identical to the ones in the swimming pool hall. Furthermore, there were wooden benches along the side in the same style as the swimming pool hall.

There was some sort of finger buffet to start with. Nothing too fancy, just sandwiches really. I do not recall eating very much.

Everybody around me had been a pupil at my school. There were no university friends or acquaintences to be seen, but there were a few people who did not exist in real life. The room was very crowded, and a football game emerged. Yet at the same time, people were casually walking around the 'pitch' as if the progress of the game wasn't really that important. The more concientious people were walking along the 'out of touch' areas around the perimiter.

I occasionally got involved in the football match, passing or shooting the ball, though I did not contribute very intently or significantly - I merely kicked the ball when it came to me. It was only when I stood in the corner afterwards to talk wtih some friends that I was criticized for getting involved, because apparently it was a team match, and I had not been selected for either of the teams. I tried to be nonchallant about it like "oops. yeah. easy mistake to make" but they kept criticising me. Not in the needling way, e.g. "you're such a fucking idiot", but more in the sort of "no look, you've done something really wrong here.", the sort of look you might get if you accidently broke a family heirloom or something... as if to create some sort of lingering guilt.

I didn't really do much talking beyond this. As I walked along the 'out of touch' area a Japanese boy/man/whatever grabbed my shin as if to trip me over. On regaining my balance I took him by the neck and, without any resistance on his part, dragged him to the toilet and threatened to lower his head into the basin. I did not threaten with words, merely with action and suspense.

I did not pursue my vengance any further and let him go. He smiled and apologised as if he were a Toyota executive and then slid off.

--------------------

And this was more or less the time I woke up, which was around 10.45am, even though I had set my alarm for 8. Basically I have to be up at 6am on Friday and 4am on Saturday, so I need to force myself to get up earlier in preperation.

Have to do some sorting out this weekend. Some serious sorting out. Yesterday was an extremely lazy day. Sure, I got up at 8.45am, but that was only so I could watch the Election 1974 (Feb) coverage, which started at 9.00am. Will definitely leave the house today though, otherwise I will go mad.

On the topic of elections, Gordon Brown is currently at my old university (I actually recognise the windows and trees behind him) right now, although by the time you read this the page will probably be a static news story. At the time of my posting it, Gordon is being shown live.
"Mr Brown was welcomed by supporters but there were some hecklers as he arrived at the University of Warwick, Coventry."

I know some of those hecklers very well!

I am still not convinced that a Conservative Majority Government is inevitable. After all, "nothing is inevitable until it has happened". And happened it has not!

Over the course of my lazy day yesterday I played a $8 Rebuy on Pokerstars. Won a few flips... until the very last one, where I called all in with 88 versus AK. Fortunately I was already in the cash stages by then, and for my $24.80 buyin I scored $67.70. Top prize was over $9K though. I almost wilt at the idea of winning that much.

That was the only tournament I played. Often in the past when I played tournaments I would insist on playing several at once, but I was glad just to play one yesterday.

"Take a second look at us. Take a long, hard, look at them."
Gordon Brown, 11.35am
He recieved quite some applause for this.

"How can they be the party of change, when they haven't even changed themselves."
Gordon Brown, 11.38am
No applause for this.

I'm not a Brown hater, but I do believe in individual responsibility and freedom of thought and enterprise. And that's why I'll be voting Conservative. As for the 'national economic scene', I am not convinced either party knows any better than the other, so I am voting for a philosophy rather than a practical plan. I'm not going to try and convince others to follow my lead though. I'm voting in my self-interest. If everybody else does the same, then we'll get as accurate a picture of the nationial interest as we can.

Come to think of it, will a Hung Parliament really be so bad? At least there'll be concensus, even if it is forced. I do fear that, at the moment, there seems to be an almost deliberate party-poltical agenda to make sure no concensus of any sort emerges. Slime.

I think this will be quite an exciting election.

1 comment:

Tom Wales said...

I understand our heckling came across pretty loudly over the TV. Would you concur? It was good fun to have a shout at the PM either way :)